Thursday, January 31, 2008

Why do people do this?


One of my favorite longtime "pet peeves" is people who buy some item, and yet have no idea how to use it or why they need it. Please note that I am a "semi-professional" computer nerd, and gadget fan. I am adept at technology and can usually figure things out. I also like to have a justification for a new "toy", rather than just buy it because it's new.

A continuing culprit seems to be the person who buys an Apple Mac computer, because they were told it is something they need. I frequently run into someone who tells me "I don't know why I bought this because I don't even know how to use it". When I recently walked into a local Apple retail store, I was shown all of the "cool" features of the new Mac computers. When I would ask the salesperson "why would I care about that feature", the blank stare was amusing. My point is, the Apple sales people were pitching "cool" rather than functional. So, consumers are buying a machine they have little experience with, so they can go home and do "cool" stuff. I have a friend who bought a Mac computer with his home recording studio software, because he was told the Mac would be the best audio choice (no argument there). Trouble is, this friend was not familiar with the Apple operating system, and has trouble simply getting around the system. Another friend of mine was trying to import a video from his camera, and the "simple" Mac program was not cooperating. I think it was because the Apple operating system only wanted a specific video format. I had another person ask me if I could help them create a website on their Mac. I asked what software they were going to use, and again I got the blank stare.

I've often heard financial planners tell me that I shouldn't even invest in any stocks or funds that I do not FULLY understand. Don't buy into anything you cannot explain to someone. And yet, these same people seem to have no problem buying technology that they do not understand.

I am generally ignorant about automotive repairs, and am not the best at household repairs. However, I do at least understand how to put air in my tires, check oil level, and put gas in the car. I also understand how to replace filters in my furnace, check electrical breaker switches, and replace light bulbs. In other words, I may not be an expert, but I have a general idea what is needed to be an effective owner of the product. There are many who do not see this connection with technology.

So, don't buy an iPod if you don't know how to even download the iTunes software (which is free to all, and available in both Windows and Mac versions). Don't buy a digital camera if you aren't sure how to get the photos off the thing. Don't buy an iPhone if you can't get a standard cell phone to work. And don't buy a computer without having an idea of what they can do for you, or why you need it.

If you are desiring to buy the latest technology, please realize you need to spend some time researching your options and reading the instructions. From my experience, the only difference between a novice and expert is that the expert has read the manual. The guy who cracks out his iPod and starts trying to synchronize it, finds out right away that there are some rules you need to follow. The person who buys a digital camera without some prior research can find out they don't have the right port on the computer (is it USB or Firewire?). The person who buys the new computer and finds it a bit more complicated that promised, needs to plan on taking some time to get "acquainted" with the features and functions.

Most of us have had decades of experience where our purchases were easily understood items. I mean, how complicated is a toaster? Can-openers were fairly simple. TVs were a bit more complicated, but still intuitive (off - on - change channel). Video tape recorders were a bit more complicated, and needed some simple programming. Video game systems were fairly simple (set TV channel - turn on - inset game cartridge). However, now there are hundreds of functions available on TVs, computers, video recorders, microwave ovens, and even refrigerators with computers in the door!!

So, please, please, I'm begging you, spend some time thinking before buying something that you think you need. If you can at least explain how it will make your life better, that's enough to get started. If it's not going to make YOUR life better, what's the point?

Until next time,

Tim

No comments: