Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Well done, Larry Norman - Welcome Home

This past Sunday (2/24/2008), Christian rock music pioneer Larry Norman left his earthly body, and went to join his savior in Heaven. After many years of his body failing him, he finally got his reward.


I was first introduced to Larry's music around 1982 or so. A friend of mine had the "Something New Under The Son" release, and I got a kick out of Larry's sense of humor. The bluesy rock music was also well done. I began checking out other releases from Larry, and discovered his involvement with Randy Stonehill (another favorite of mine, and the first "Christian rock" record I ever bought was from Randy). Larry had originally "signed" Randy to a record deal, and helped Randy get started in Christian music. Over the following years, I found Larry had many great songs addressing social issues as well as Christianity. During this time, I never did get a chance to see Larry perform.

Fast forward to 1998, when I was attending Cornerstone Festival with my wife. Larry made a previously unannounced solo acoustic performance at the HM tent. It was during this performance that Larry made some very motivating comments about suffering children around the world, and how we were called to reach out to them (if possible). After this, my wife and I sponsored a child through Compassion International.

Over the next couple years, reports began to come out about Larry having heart trouble. There were some times when the problems became quite serious, and there was question how long Larry would be with us.

The next time I got see Larry perform was at Cornerstone Festival 2001. Randy Stonehill was also at the festival, performing during a "legends of Christian Rock" special package of artists. Larry Norman was also scheduled to perform during that weekend. The relationship between Larry and Randy had suffered some problems during the 80s/90s, but they had rebuilt the friendship and Larry joined Randy on stage at the end of Randy's set. This was a reunion that many hoped to see. After this performance, I noticed Larry and Randy were watching another band from the side of the tent. I approached them, and asked if I could get a picture with them. They were both kind and accommodating. I had my wife take the photo you see here (Larry is the one on the far left)








The next day Larry gave a full band rock performance on the "main stage". I heard many say it was one of Larry's better performances, and was more energetic than many expected. The first half of the set was kind of a "retro-Larry" type bluesy rock show. For the second half of the set, Larry brought out a different backing band, and performed new modern arrangements of some of his tunes. Overall, a great show, and can be heard on the "Live At Cornerstone" release. Randy was supposed to join Larry, but Randy ended up having to leave the festival earlier than expected. I do specifically remember Larry making many comments about loving Christ, and how we need to be more loving to all.

I didn't get to ever see Larry perform again, but still enjoyed his music and ministry. Over the past year, I have been watching some Larry Norman videos a friend has shared with me. One thing is consistent with all the material - Larry loved Jesus and wanted nothing more than to share that with others. Larry wasn't without his problems or controversy, but he never said we should be following Larry. He was simply doing his best to point the way to Christ.

Anyone who has read of Larry's past health issues should not be surprised at his passing. However, it still is a loss for those of us still here, and we have to now step up and fill the gap left by Larry's passing. Larry Norman now gets to enjoy the rewards that he often would speak/sing about. Thankfully, we can still enjoy the music that Larry left for us, via his CDs and DVDs.

Thanks to God for allowing me to be around during the same period when Larry Norman was here, and having an opportunity to not only experience his live performance but also meet the man. Praise God, and thanks to Larry for the faith he shared.

For more info on Larry, you can check www.larrynorman.com They seem to have taken some pages off line for now, but may be back soon.

To purchase some of Larry's CDs, you can find many at www.christiandiscs.com

Tim

No comments: